Shop our range of palm sanders online and in-store at Total Tools! We carry a variety of sanders available in different sizes and models from top-selling brands such as Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, HiKOKI, and more.
What is a palm sander?
A palm sander, also known as hand sander, is a hand-held power tool used for smoothing and shaping wood surfaces. It has a tiny, rectangular sanding pad that oscillates or rotates in a circle, efficiently sanding the wood's surface with the sandpaper fastened to the pad.
How to use a palm sander?
Sanding wood surfaces using a palm sander is a quick and easy technique that may save time and labour. Here is a quick tutorial on using a palm sander:
- Start by choosing the sandpaper grit that is right for your job. A higher grit, such as 120 or 220, is preferable for finishing and smoothing, while a lower grit, such as 40 or 60, is excellent for severe sanding and shaping.
- As directed by the manufacturer, adhere the sandpaper to the sanding pad.
- The sander should be turned on and angled slightly towards the wood surface.
- Start sanding, moving in a circular or back-and-forth fashion.
- Use higher grit sandpaper to finish after sanding the surface until it is uniform and smooth.
- After you're done, shut off the sander and take the sandpaper off. To get rid of any extra dust, wipe the sander and sanding pad off.
When using a palm sander, it's crucial to take all necessary safety precautions, such as using protective eyewear and a dust mask and steering clear of overly harsh sanding. You may use your palm sander to get professional results by adhering to these easy procedures.
Why should you get a palm sander?
Woodworking and carpentry need the use of palm sanders because they provide a rapid and effective method for sanding and smoothing out rough or uneven surfaces. They are also helpful for cleaning wood of paint or finishes and for preparing surfaces for painting or staining.
Sanding in small or difficult-to-reach spaces, such as corners or cracks, is one of the main advantages of utilising a palm sander. Professionals and DIY enthusiasts alike favour the tool because of its compact size and lightweight construction, which make it simple to use and manage.
Palm sanders are frequently used in metalworking, automotive, and woodworking industries in addition to drywall and plaster sanding.